Thursday, February 2, 2012

10 Days of silent meditation and no email

I gave myself an amazing gift, in honor of my year of being 40. I spent 10 days in silent meditation, sleeping on a concrete slab, using a wooden pillow, awaking at 4am every day, and meditating the better part of 10 hours per day.

I spent Nov 30-Dec 11 at Suan Mokkh in Southern Thailand doing a Thai Buddhist meditation retreat. The grounds we're simple and lovely, the meditation practice intense in a constant body-discomfort and self-focusing manner. Ten days passed slowly, yet with almost every minute filled with silence, meditating, washing (body, clothes, the grounds), eating, doing yoga, or soaking in the hot springs.

It was the most mentally difficult endeavor I have ever done. I was changed in a small yet significant way. I have not meditated nor done yoga much since the first few weeks after leaving the retreat. But I think about both every day. And that is enough to ensure I'll get back to it.


On departure day, a loving portrait with my special
lotus flower, that I watched open every morning
as I opened myself to the day through yoga

No comments: