Sunday, July 3, 2011

Warm July Morning

It's very rare to wake up with the window open, and for it to already be hot. After a tasty breakfast of friend egg & ham, and homemade apple crumble with a little scoop of Salted Caramel ice cream, I put on my sneakers, backpack, and bit floppy sun hat, and walked up to the Civic Center Farmers Market to pick up fresh veggies. I'm preparing a big batch up Gazpacho for tomorrow's BBQ at the Wheeler-McNultys.

I got home and was totally sweaty from my nearly 3 miles walk, with my backpack loaded with veggies and flowers. I took a walk last night, too, to Safeway at 10pm to pick up a random array of groceries: whole peppercorns; soy sauce (low salt); milk; white wine vinegar; aluminum foil; Draino; pickled okra. I had to walk back and forth across the store four times to find all the random items I was looking for. And had to ask four different people to point me in the right direction. Safeway late at night is fun, though. I saw an older strung-out hippie guy carrying his enormous bong over by the milk, desperately saying over and over to anyone that would answer, "do you have just a pint of milk?!" I happen to know Safeway doesn't sell milk in that small quantity. I had spent 5 minutes looking for something smaller than a half gallon earlier.

I'm watching a little bit of the America's cup, while I rest and cool down. It's Brasil v Venezuela, at La Plata in Argentina.

It's nice to be home. Even if I'm a little mitten-brained today.

No comments: